Philip Gunawardena Memorial Public Library
– Kahahena –
Name of the Library :- Philip Gunawardena Memorial Public Library, Kahahena
Electorate :- Awissawella
Revenue Area :- Hanwella
Mother Institution :- Hanwella Sub office of the Seethawaka Pradeshiya Sabha
Commenced year of the Library:- 2002-04-12
Building :- Area Square feet 1350 (upstairs)
Library resources :- @ Books for Library Collection 5445
(Medium of Knowledge) (Sinhala, English, Tamil)
@ Current magazines
@ Daily newspapers- 07
@ Weekly newspapers – 11
@ Weekend newspapers – 07
@ There is a collection of books and articles written as regional information articles about the Seethawaka era
Organization of Library Resources : –
@ All library books are categorized according to the classification of libraries.
@ Books are stacked on shelves according to numbers from 000 to 999.
@ Books are circulated under Brown system.
@ The following newspaper articles are available under the Documentation Services.
- Collection of Regional Information Articles on Seethawaka Pradeshiya Sabha area
- Balangoda Ananda Maithree Thero
- Beautiful Garden (Garden Decoration)
- Articles on ornamental fish breeding
- Information on Suwasetha Medical science
- Something about a village
- Culinary Recipes
- Sewing crafts
- Articles on Ceylon History
- Articles on Agriculture
Main sections and services :-
- Lending Section
- Reference Section
- Children’s Section
- Reading Section of newspapers and magazines
- Mobile Library service
- Special Collection
Introduction programs for the library : –
- Project services such as the Inter-Library Quiz Competition
- Story hour program (for children under 10 years of age)
- Book Exhibitions (Annual)
- Literary competitions
- Maintain the creations display board
- Conducting Quiz, painting, Folk Song, Poetry and Essay Competitions through Pradeshiya Sabha Library collection.
- Getting book donations
- Maintenance of a notice board that updates the government gazette and newspaper posts such as vacancies.
- Displaying essential contact information of government institutions.
Number of Readers :-
Total Readers – 913
- Number of Elder readers – 655
- Number of Child readers – 258
Obtaining Membership :-
Permanent Resident / Government Employee / School Students in the Hanwella Sub Office area are eligible to be a member.
Specimen Application Form
Child / Adult applications can be obtained at the Library or downloaded from the Internet.
- Adults – Rp. 51.00
- Children – Rp. 30.60
- Membership can be obtained by paying
- Rs . 500/- for a child Member,
- Rs . 1000/- for an adult Member
- as a deposit In the absence of a guarantor to obtain the membership
General rules and regulations that members must adhere to
Constitution of the library
Type Number …………… Access Number ………..
Philip Gunawardena Memorial Public Library, Kahahena – 0363865351
Documents that contain the full set of rules and regulations can be obtained only for viewing.
Two tickets will be issued to an outside reader.. This gives him the right to borrow two books at a time.
Books must be returned within 14 days from the date of borrowed. If a member fails to return any book to the Librarian within fourteen days he should agreed to pay a fine of Rs.1/- for a book per day.
Any book that is not requested by another external reader may be extended for another 14 days or less at the discretion of the Librarian. The book should be brought to the library to extend the period. Lending Section of the Library Open daily from 8.30 am to 16.15 p.m. The Library will be closed on public holidays and on any other day or days as determined by the Library Authority..
The books should not be given to anyone by the reader. No person with an infectious disease should carry the books. If you know that someone is infected with disease.
You should not allow him to use any books in the library.
- Books can be borrowed for 14 days
- Fines will be charged as follows for each additional day.
- Children’s section late fee 0.50 Cnts per day
- Elders section late Rs. 00 per day
- The above amount will be charged as late fees for a book from 01 to 30
- from 31 to 90 days, Rs. 40/- per book
- from 91 to 180 days, Rs. 80/- per book
- more than 180 days, Rs. 100/- per book
- Half of these amounts are charged to the child section as late fees