Bandaranayake Independence public library
Name of the Library :- Bandaranayake Independence public library – Padukka
Electorate :- Awissawella
Revenue Area :- Padukka
Administration :- Padukka Sub office of the Seethawaka Pradeshiya Sabha
Commenced year of the Library:- 1960-10-03
Building :- (Two storey) more than 2,500 sq. Feet
Library resources :- Books for Library Collection 18226
(Medium of Knowledge) (Sinhala, English, Tamil)
- News week
- Reader’s digest
- Budu suwanda(Children)
Newspapers ( Sinhala, Tamil, English )
Daily – 08
Weekly – 10
Weekends – 10
There is a collection of books and articles written as regional information articles about the Seethawaka era
Collection of Regional Information Articles on Seethawaka Pradeshiya Sabha area
Organization of Library Resources : –
- All library books are categorized according to the classification of libraries.
- Books are stacked on shelves according to numbers from 000 to 999.
- Books are circulated under Brown system.
- The following newspaper articles are available under the Documentation Services.
- Collection of Regional Information Articles on Seethawaka Pradeshiya Sabha area
- Articles on Agriculture
- Collection of Political Information
- Articles on Ceylon History
- Information on Archeology
- Sewing crafts
- Information on countries
- Eco Gardening Information
- Information on Medical science
- Bibliographic information services such as magazine articles, serial acquisition lists
Main sections and services :-
- Lending Section
- Reference Section
- Children’s Section
- Reading Section of newspapers and magazines
- Study Hall
- Special Collection,Regional Collection
- Mobile Library service
Introduction programs for the library : –
- Quiz Competition
- Drug Prevention Programs
- Art practice programs
- Counselling Programs
- Competition programs on various subjects
- Book Exhibitions
- Literary Competetions
- Project services such as the Inter-Library Quiz Competition
- Conducting Quiz, painting, Folk Song, Poetry and Essay Competitions through Pradeshiya Sabha Library collection.
- Getting book donations
- Provide necessary information on rubber, coconut, telephone, etc. as basic community information services.
- Maintenance of a white notice board that updates the government gazette and newspaper posts such as vacancies.
- Displaying essential contact information of government institutions.
Number of Readers :-
Total Readers 6715
- Number of Elder readers 4432
- Number of Child readers 2283
- Permanent Resident / Government Employee / School Students in the Padukka Sub Office area are eligible to be a member.
- Specimen Application Form
- Child / Adult applications can be obtained at the Library or downloaded from the Internet.
- Membership Fees
- Adults – Rp. 51.00
- Children – Rp. 30.60
- Membership can be obtained by paying Rs . 500/- for a child Member, Rs . 1000/- for an adult Member as a deposit In the absence of a guarantor to obtain the membership
General rules and regulations that members must adhere to
Constitution of the library
Type Number …………… Access Number ………..
Bandaranayake Independence Public Library
Documents that contain the full set of rules and regulations can be obtained only for viewing.
Two tickets will be issued to an outside reader.. This gives him the right to borrow two books at a time.
Books must be returned within 14 days from the date of borrowed. If a member fails to return any book to the Librarian within fourteen days he should agreed to pay a fine of Rs.1/- for a book per day.
Any book that is not requested by another external reader may be extended for another 14 days or less at the discretion of the Librarian. The book should be brought to the library to extend the period. Lending Section of the Library Open daily from 8.30 am to 16.15 p.m. The Library will be closed on public holidays and on any other day or days as determined by the Library Authority..
The books should not be given to anyone by the reader. No person with an infectious disease should carry the books. If you know that someone is infected with disease.
You should not allow him to use any books in the library.
- Books can be borrowed for 14 days
- Fines will be charged as follows for each additional day.
- Children’s section late fee 0.50 Cnts per day
- Elders section late Rs. 00 per day
- The above amount will be charged as late fees for a book from 01 to 30
- from 31 to 90 days, Rs. 40/- per book
- from 91 to 180 days, Rs. 80/- per book
- more than 180 days, Rs. 100/- per book
- Half of these amounts are charged to the child section as late fees
Library Management : –
Current staff as per a third level Library
- Librarian – 01 (Grade II )
- Library Workers – 02
- Substitute Workers – 02
Library committee :-
- There is a very active Readers’ society for several years. Conducting literary festivals, competitions, lectures and book exhibitions.
Statistical Information :-
- Statistical files are maintained in all sections of the library.
Removing books :-
- Removing of books is done on the recommendation of the Annual Board of Goods Survey.